The Diagnostic English test (DET) is an English placement test set by the Centre for English Language Communication (CELC) for graduate students pursuing the Master or Doctorate degrees. The objectives of DET and format of the test are available on the CELC website.
The DET for Semester 1 of Academic Year 2021/2022 is scheduled as follows:
Who may take DET1?
- All Masters and PhD students informed by the Registrar’s Office of the requirement to take the DET.
|21 July 2021 (Wed):
Students will be informed of the session they are assigned to on Monday 19 July 2021.
- AM Session (reporting time: 9.00 am; test duration: 10:00 am to 12:00 pm), or
- PM Session (reporting time: 2:00 pm; test duration: 3:00 pm to 5:00 pm)
Students must sit for their assigned session or they will not be allowed to take DET1.
If a student misses their assigned session, or is unable to sit for DET1 without a valid reason, they will need to take DET2 in December 2021.
||DET will be conducted in digital format using Examplify and Zoom proctoring.
As DET will be conducted in digital format, students are required to:
- register for and attend the compulsory briefing session.
To register for and attend the briefing session, student must:
- complete Registration (Part One) to obtain their NUSNET ID and change the default password to a personal password two days before registering for the DET briefing session;
Please refer to the step-by-step guide here.
- register for the briefing using their full names (as in passport/ NRIC), along with their NUS email address; and
- register for the briefing session during the registration period from 2 July to 8 July 2021 (the link is provided in section 3 below).
For the briefing and the actual test, students are required to prepare:
- a laptop to complete the paper using Examplify and
- a mobile phone for remote invigilation using Zoom video conferencing tool.
Please refer to the documents listed in Section 3 below for details.
An iPad should not be used to take DET.
The laptop and mobile phone should be fully charged or connected to a charging station for the whole duration of the test.
||Registration for the Briefing Session
It is compulsory for students to attend at least one briefing session.
Students will NOT be allowed to take DET if they are absent from the briefing session.
Please complete the following tasks:
Students should register for their briefing session from 2 July to 8 July 2021 here.
Before attending the registered briefing session, students must:
- view the briefing slides on Examplify here;
- read the attached briefing document on Zoom Invigilation here;
complete this quiz ((https://luminus.nus.edu.sg/modules/de880abd-12d1-4e7e-98d5-059070492101/quiz) which is based on information on Examplify and Zoom invigilation by 11 July 2021.
Note: Students must log in once into LumiNUS to activate their account before it can be added to the quiz. Once their account is active on LumiNUS, they will be given access to the quiz by 12 noon on 10 July 2021.
The briefing slides should be downloaded onto their laptop as reference will be made to them during the briefing.
The briefing session will be conducted via Zoom. Students will receive information on the Zoom briefing session upon successful registration. Students must join the briefing session using their mobile phone.
||Assignment to DET1 AM Session or PM Session
||For DET1 conducted in July 2021, students who have registered for and attended DET briefing will be automatically enrolled for DET.
Students will receive an email on Monday 19 July 2021 (by 5 pm) to inform them of:
If an email is not received by Monday 19 July 2021, 5 pm, students should write to email@example.com.
- the test session that students will be assigned to and
- the Zoom meeting link and password to the session.
||Sitting for the DET test
Students must report to their assigned group on Zoom at the respective reporting time. The Zoom session will be locked half an hour after the reporting time, i.e. 9:30am for the morning session and 2:30pm for the afternoon session.
Students will need to have their identification document with recent photo (e.g. Student Card, NRIC, Passport) for identity verification purposes before being allowed to sit for the test.
||Release of DET results
||Results will be released online on Wednesday 4 August 2021 via this link here.
||Step-by-step guide for system access
Checking of Test Results
Students should refer to Paragraph 7 of the Guide on how to retrieve their DET results.
|| Frequently Asked Questions
|| Check for answers to common queries here
Please take note that a student can only sit for the DET once.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I need to sit for the DET? / Can I be exempted from the DET?
You will be notified via your Offer of Admission Letter or by your Faculty Administrator whether you are required to sit for the DET. The DET is held in July and January before the start of each semester and registration for the DET will be held around 3 weeks before the day of the Test. Students who are required to sit for the DET will receive an email notification from the Registrar's Office to register for the Test when registration opens.
For matters regarding exemption, please contact your Faculty Administrator.
- I am unable to make it for the coming DET. Can I sit for the next one?
If you have been informed to sit for the DET, please note that it is a university-level requirement which must be fulfilled before graduation. Based on your DET result, you may also need to read and complete additional Graduate English courses (GEC) during your study at NUS. As such, we do not advise you to postpone sitting for the DET as your study / graduation schedule may be affected. You should also check with your Faculty Administrator on the faculty's stand regarding this.
If you have weighed the pros and cons and/or have your faculty's approval to sit for the next DET, simply register for it during the relevant registration period.
- When is the next DET date and registration period?
Information on the next DET (including the test date and registration period) will be uploaded onto the DET website once it is available. Please check the website regularly for the latest information and updates.
- What is the DET test format and grading criteria?
Please refer to the Centre for English Language Communications (CELC) website,http://www.nus.edu.sg/celc/programmes/det.html for more information.
- I forgot to print my registration confirmation page. How can I check if I am registered?
You can return to the QET/DET Registration page to check your registration status. If you have registered, there should be a tick in the "Register" column checkbox on the page.
- How can I register for Graduate English Course (GEC)?
Please refer to the Centre for English Language Communications (CELC) website, http://www.nus.edu.sg/celc/programmes/graduateprogrammes.html for more information.