Administrative Matters

Undergraduate Students

For undergraduate students enrolling into full-time programmes, you will need to:

  1. Submit your photograph within two working days upon acceptance of NUS' offer of admission via the Online Photo Submission System
  2. Access the system again two working days after submission to check whether the photograph has been approved for use. Re-submission of a new photograph (that meets the specifications) is required if the previous submission is not accepted.

Note: For Yale-NUS College (YNC) students and students enrolling for the Bachelor of Technology (BTech) programme, please refer to the instructions provided to you by the YNC or BTech administrators.

Graduate Research Students

For graduate research students, you will need to:

  1. Submit your photograph when you complete the “Reply on Offer of Admission” via the Graduate Admission (GDA) System
  2. You may refer to the instructions given in the admission offer letter, which is also available in the GDA Applicant Guide. Re-submission of a new photograph (that meets the specifications) is required if the previous submission is not accepted.

Non-Graduating Students

For non-graduating students, you will need to:

  1. Submit your photograph when you accept the offer via the Online Application Portal
  2. Re-submit your photograph via the portal again if you are notified via e-mail that your photograph has not been approved.

Registration (Part One)

In Registration (Part One), you will need to update your personal particulars, agree to abide by the policies which form the Acceptance Record; and complete the specified Authorisation Requirements.

If you are under 18 years of age at the time of completion of Registration (Part One), you must print the following forms from the "Authorisation Requirements" section, have your parents/guardians sign on the forms and bring them to the Registration Centre for submission:

  • Risk Acknowledgement and Consent
  • Authorisation of Medical Procedures / Appointment of Local Representative (for International Students)

Registration (Part Two)

In Registration (Part Two), you will need to activate your NUS Student Card via the Education Records System (EduRec). Once activated, your student status will be 'Active' in NUS records.

The NUS Student Card will be delivered by post to your residence if you meet all of the following requirements:

  • Is a Singapore Citizen or Permanent Resident
  • Is 18 years of age and above
  • Has valid Singapore mailing address
  • Has completed Registration (Part One)
  • Has no outstanding documents to be sighted and verified by an NUS administrator (i.e. educational certificate/transcript and/or other document(s) as indicated in the offer letter)

Students who do not meet the above requirements will be informed by email on the collection of their Student Card.

Declaration of Transfer Option (for current NUS Undergraduate Students transferring course)

Current NUS undergraduate students who have been studying for a semester or more and are successful in their application to transfer to another course of study must declare if they wish to start the new course on a clean slate or with a full credit transfer via myEduRec.

Starting the new course of study on a clean slate would mean that there will be no waiver, credit transfer or exemption of modules. Students who opted for clean slate transfer must re-take all their completed modules (including GE and USP modules). The option to transfer clean slate is also subjected to the final approval of the receiving Faculty/School.

Those opting for a full credit transfer should note that the relevant Faculty shall then decide which modules may be used to satisfy the relevant graduation requirements.

There are additional transfer rules for the following group of students:

  • Students transferring to any course within the Faculty of Engineering and into Computer Engineering are required to opt for full credit transfer. This rule also applies to Computer Engineering students transferring to another course within the Faculty of Engineering.
  • Students from the School of Business transferring from Business Administration to Accountancy (and vice-versa) are required to opt for full credit transfer.
  • Students transferring to Dentistry and Medicine will have to start on a clean slate.
  • Students transferring into Law are allowed to transfer to up to 40 MCs counting towards their Law degree

If you do not exercise the option by the stipulated deadline, it will be deemed that you have withdrawn the application for a transfer of course and will remain in the original course of study.

Pre-Admission Medical Examination

As an admission condition, all incoming students (excluding non-graduating students and continuing & professional education students) are required to undergo a medical examination. The University reserves the right to refuse admission to or exclude a student from any particular course of study if he/she declines to undergo the health examinations or refuse any prescribed tests.

You may complete the medical examination (i) at the University Health Centre (UHC); (ii) with your own physician either in Singapore; or (iii) in the your home country.

If you choose to consult your own physician, please submit the completed medical examination report, written in English, to UHC before the stipulated deadline.

Please check the UHC website for more information on the medical examination.

Additional Screening for Students Admitted to Medicine, Dentistry, Nursing, Public Health and Pharmacy

Undergraduate students

It is compulsory for all undergraduate medical, dental, nursing, public health and pharmacy students to undergo a screening for immunity to Hepatitis B, Chickenpox and Rubella. The screening must be done in the year of enrolment regardless of previous screening and/or immunization. You may choose to have your screenings and immunizations done at UHC.

If you choose to be screened by your own medical practitioner, please submit to UHC satisfactory proof of such screening and immunization (where necessary).

Please check with your Faculty/School for details on the specific screening requirements and deadline.

Graduate students

Screening for immunity to Hepatitis B for graduate students admitted to Medicine, Dentistry, Nursing, Public Health and Pharmacy is required if their studies require them to be in contact with patients or human blood, tissue, etc. For graduate coursework students admitted to Public Health, screening for immunity to Hepatitis B is compulsory. You may choose to have your screenings and immunizations done together with the pre-admission medical examination at UHC. If you choose to be screened by your own medical practitioner, please submit to UHC satisfactory proof of such screening and immunization (where necessary).

Please check with your Faculty/School for details on the specific screening requirements and deadline.

Additional Medical Examination for Student's Pass

All international students who plan to stay in Singapore for 6 months or more will need to undergo and pass an additional medical examination which must include a HIV test for the application of the Student's Pass.

The HIV test and additional medical examination can be done in the your home country or in Singapore, including at UHC. The medical report must be completed in English. For more information on the medical examination requirements for Student's Pass, please check the ICA website.

All full-time international students are required to hold a valid Student's Pass issued by the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) for their studies at NUS. Please refer to:

  • ICA’s website for information on Student's Pass matters, and
  • the respective Registration Guides (or information leaflet sent by the respective NUS admission departments) on the dates and details of ICA's Offsite Enrolment Exercise at NUS.

Once ICA approves your Student’s Pass application, you will be issued the In-Principle Approval (IPA) letter, which you can print from ICA’s SOLAR system. For international students from visa-required countries to Singapore, please present the printed copy of your IPA letter together with a valid passport to the Duty Officer at the Immigration Checkpoint when arriving Singapore, as it will serve as a single-entry visa. A short term Social Visit Pass will be issued to you.

Details on the completion of Student’s Pass formalities are set out in the respective Registration Guides (or information leaflets sent by the Department).

Overstaying is a punishable offence under the Immigration Act. Please take note of the following:

  • Expiry dates of the IPA letter/ Social Visit Pass
    • You will need to complete the Student's Pass formalities before the period of stay expires
  • Extension of Student’s Pass
    • You will need to apply for an extension of your Student's Pass at least one month before it expires. For full-time students, please note that you will be deemed to be residing illegally in Singapore if you do not have a valid Student’s Pass.
  • Surrender of Student’s Pass
    • You will need to surrender your Student’s Pass for cancellation within 7 days of the date of cessation or termination of studies.
    • For students who are Conferred/Awarded or will be Conferred/Awarded their degrees, please refer to the Graduation webpage for more details on cancellation/surrender of your Student’s Pass (Under ‘Important Actions for Conferred/Awarded Students’).
    • If you surrender your Student’s Pass at ICA, you will be granted the short term visit pass on the spot.
      • Due to the current COVID-19 situation, there are limited counter services at ICA premises. If you require NUS’ assistance with the cancellation of your Student’s Pass, please complete the Request for Cancellation of Student’s Pass Form and submit it to at least 7 days before the expiry of your Student’s Pass.
      • Upon this manual cancellation of your Student’s Pass, NUS will email the notification of cancellation, which will serve as a short-term visit pass (if you are in Singapore), to your NUS email account.
    • If you intend to leave Singapore upon completing your course, you may surrender the Student’s Pass, accompanied by the ICA Cancellation of Student's Pass Form that is downloadable from ICA’s website, to the Immigration Officer at the point of your departure
    • If you are overseas and wish to surrender your Student’s Pass, it can be returned to ICA by registered mail, accompanied by the ICA Cancellation of Student's Pass Form, to the following address:

      Visitor Services Centre
      Immigration & Checkpoints Authority
      ICA Building
      10 Kallang Road
      Singapore 208718

For more information on Student’s Pass matters, please refer to the Office of Student Affairs’ website.

Part-time international students are not eligible for the Student's Pass and should hold a valid work pass to stay in Singapore.

Overseas Travel Declaration (OTD)

All new incoming students are required to declare their travel plans in the Overseas Travel Declaration (OTD) system before they can proceed with Registration (Part One).

Do note that the completion of OTD is mandatory for all incoming students.

For existing NUS students who will be enrolling in a new NUS programme/course, as well as those who have changes to your previously declared travel plans, you are also required to login to the OTD system using your NUSNET ID to declare your travels. This includes cancellation of your travel plans.

New students are to login to the OTD (Applicants) system using either your:

  1. Application Number and Password/PIN; or
  2. Registration ID and Password 

Existing NUS students, as well as new students who wish to make changes to your previously declared travel plans, are to login to the OTD (Students) system using your NUSNET ID and Password.

Entry Approval Required for All Long-Term Pass Holders (Student’s Pass (STP) & holders of In-Principle Approval (IPA) Letter for STP)

All existing Student’s Pass (STP) holders, and those who have been granted In-Principle Approval (IPA) Letter for STP, who are planning to enter or return to Singapore must obtain an Entry Approval before commencing your journey to Singapore.

With effect from 5 April 2021, Entry Approval application for STP and STP-IPA holders will be managed by the Safe Travel Office (STO) under the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA).

Please note that all STP holders who are applying to enter Singapore from 1 November 2021 are required to be fully vaccinated before arrival in Singapore.

  • STP and STP-IPA holders are to apply for their Entry Approvals directly via the STO website.
  • A step-by-step guide on the application process, information on PCR Tests, SG Arrival Card and SHN is also available on the STO’s website.
  • As mentioned on the STO’s website, there is a Safe Travel Enquiries Helpline at 6812 5555 and an enquiry form to help you with your queries. Those arriving in Singapore without the Entry Approval will not be allowed to clear immigration and will be required to fly out of Singapore within 48 hours at their own cost. Those who fail to comply will have their STP cancelled or STP-IPA rescinded by ICA.
  • For Singapore Citizens/Singapore Permanent Residents who are planning to return to Singapore, please refer to STO-SC/SPR website for more information.

Singapore’s Travel Health Control Measures

Travellers planning to enter Singapore must comply with the prevailing border control measures and public health requirements. Please refer to the SafeTravel website for the latest measures and requirements.

For more information, please refer to the following websites/pages: