1. If your academic plans allow for a SEP in AY2021/22, please enquire with your Faculty on the application timelines.
2. We are currently working with other universities in Singapore on local exchange opportunities for AY2020/21 Semester 2. You will be notified at a later date if such opportunities become available.
Your health and well-being is our highest priority. The COVID-19 situation is
still very fluid and there are still no updates on when a COVID-19 vaccine will be ready. Countries
will generally be very cautious about relaxing border controls
(e.g. when, who to allow, whether to phase gradual opening, etc) in the months ahead for fear that
an influx of foreigners would bring about increased risk of infection. Consequently, if another wave
of infection does occur, then NUS
SEP students would have to be recalled. If that happens, disruptions to your studies would be even
greater, along with financial losses incurred. Additionally, a number of NUS' SEP partner
universities have also responded to
the COVID-19 pandemic by suspending student exchanges for AY 2020/21 Semester 2.
SEP in AY2021/22 would correspond to a new application cycle, which begins in end-August 2020. Check with your Faculties on the application timeline.
We are currently working with other universities in Singapore on local exchange opportunities. You will be notified at a later date if such opportunities become available.
Unfortunately, no. Mapping and credit transfer for such modules would not be
The decision to disallow students from taking online courses offered by SEP universities was arrived at by Provost’s Office after consultation with Faculties.
Virtual Exchange does not yield the same benefits as in-person exchange, whereby a student gets to experience a different academic environment, culture, and the opportunity to forge international friendships through interpersonal interactions via shared activities. Time zone differences will also be a challenge that needs to be accommodated in taking live overseas classes online.
Similar to the decision on online courses offered by SEP universities, you will also not be allowed to take courses offered through online winter and summer programmes for credits. However, if you may consider taking these courses for enrichment purposes with no credit transfer.
Refunds should be sought from the relevant parties:
1. If it is an expense that the SEP university mandated, please seek a refund from that
university using the SEP cancellation email you received from your Faculty.
2. Other expenses such as airfare and accommodation deposits should not have been
committed so early, as emphasised in an earlier email regarding SEP application. If you have
incurred such expenses, please ask for a refund
from the service provider.
3. For students whose SEP are to destinations in the Asia-Pacific, you are encouraged to withhold committing to any financial transactions for as long as possible. You will be notified by NUS in end-November 2020 about whether your SEP can proceed.
Faculties will adopt the same assessment criteria for selection of students for SEP in AY 2021/22.
Students are usually unable to participate in SEP during their final / graduating semester due to specific academic commitments that require them to be in NUS, e.g. FYP, Honours thesis, etc. Also, most SEP Partner Universities can only issue students a transcript 2 to 3 months after the final exams. If students are depending on the credit transfers to graduate, then they will have to delay their graduation. We would advise students who are considering SEP in their final semester to discuss this with their home Faculties.