Writing and Communication Hub Services
CELC WCH was created to help students improve and be confident of their writing and communication abilities. You can expect meaningful conversation as you explain your ideas and writing/communication goals to our tutors. Do note that there will only be writing consultations available in AY21/22 Semester 2. Oral Communication sessions will be offered in subsequent semesters.
In terms of writing, the tutor will assist in providing constructive feedback in terms of broad research skills, organization and language of your writing assignment. You can consult our peer tutors at any stage of the writing process (brainstorming, drafting, and revising) and it can be a section, partial draft or a complete draft of your writing assignment.
You are encouraged to complete a survey form at the end of the session. This will help our tutors evaluate their facilitation efforts and is an opportunity for you to reflect on your learning as well.
You can sign up for a 30 minute or 1 hour appointment on MS Booking. Please do read the policies on cancellations and missed appointment consequences.
- How can a WCH Peer Tutor help me?
WCH tutors can help:
- Analyse the essay/task prompt
- Read a full or partial draft and comment on its organisation of ideas; cohesion and flow of thoughts
- Identify commonly made language errors and teach the student on how to identify and correct these errors
- Provide suggestions on how to revise an essay for better coherence and clarity
- What are some things that peer tutors do not do?
They do not 'correct' an entire essay, fix all grammar errors, interpret course content and course readings for students. They also do not meet with student outside the scheduled tutoring hours.
- How can I book an appointment with a WCH peer tutor?
All students can book an appointment via MS Bookings. Do note that all appointments are on MS Teams. You will receive a confirmation email upon booking.
- I'm meeting a WCH tutor over Zoom. How should I prepare for my appointment?
Please prepare your document to be shared with the tutor by creating a link to view it via Google Document. Do send the GoogleDocs link to your peer tutor in the beginning of the session.