Wondering what being positive is all about? Does it merely involve thinking positive thoughts or hoping for bad things to go away, without doing anything on your part? Or does it require us to take action to act on our positive thoughts?
Being positive is more than just thinking positive thoughts and wishing for bad things to go away. It is about taking simple steps to make small changes in our daily lives in order to translate our positive thoughts into behavior. By taking the extra step to act on your positive thoughts, you can further enhance your mental wellbeing.
5 Steps to positivity: S-M-I-L-E
It's the easiest thing in the world, but it makes all the difference. A smile can immediately lift your mood. It lights up the room and make things happier and brighter for everyone. Start off with a simple action like this and then watch how it leads to bigger and better things.
Make it happen
When you re thinking positively, it s easier to realise a goal or overcome an obstacle. Positive thinking is a skill like any other, so it takes time, patience and effort to master. But the results will be worth it.
I can do it
Say it again and again. Affirm and encourage yourself with positive words when you re in challenging situations. By doing that, you re halfway there to solving the problem.
Laugh out loud
When everything feels like it s going wrong, try to find the humour in the situation. Laughter is infectious and it helps to bring people together. It relieves the body of tension and stress. Best of all, it's free!
If you take a more optimistic outlook on life, it can improve both your physical and mental health. You will be able to cope better with stress and enjoy happier relationships with friends, family and colleagues.
You can further practise positive thinking by adopting the tips here:
- Having a strong network of supportive family and friends helps enhance our mental well-being.
- Manage your stress and take steps to experience positive emotions for a better quality of life.
- Find out how being curious in our daily lives can help us be more positive.
- It's not always easy to stay positive but being positive is within our capability, inspite of negative influences in our lives. Here are ways to stay positive!
- See how you could correct inaccurate thought patterns and make an effort to think positively.
- Being contented with life and what you have has many advantages. Find out why and read more on the tips here.
Contributed By: Health Promotion Board (HPB)