What DYOM is about, and the two available options
The idea of Design-Your-Own-Module (DYOM) was mooted in NUS to encourage our students to explore learning beyond their disciplines, via edX Massive Open Online Courses (better known as MOOCs), or by engaging NUS teachers, NUS administrative staff or industry leaders. DYOM provides an option for students to pursue interests outside their disciplines, broadening their knowledge, and encouraging them to see “learning” as a lifetime endeavour.
The DYOM scheme gives a student* opportunities to pursue self-directed learning, with up to 8 MCs allowed within the UE space during his or her candidature and will be graded on a ‘CS/CU’ (Completed Satisfactorily/Completed Unsatisfactorily) basis.
The options available:
- DYOM via MOOCs – Fully online learning where students can access edX courses or AI For Industry (AI4I)® via NUS LumiNUS.
- DYOM via group work with supervision – a group of 10 or more students coming together to learn from a supervisor.
*Exclusion: Medicine, Dentistry, LAW, Yale-NUS, SCALE
How to embark on the DYOM journey
Objective: To empower students in their learning journey, giving them more flexibility in planning their studies without disruption to their structured disciplinary studies, since MOOCs are mostly self-paced and fully online.
- For a completed edX MOOC (i.e., having a Verified Certificate to earn modular credits) to be captured in the student record, students will have to use LumiNUS to access the MOOC via single-sign-on, and to enroll in edX MOOC.
- Students also have the option to pursue, AI For Industry (AI4I)®, an online course by AISG, better known as AI Singapore, a national AI programme supported by the National Research Foundation and hosted by the National University of Singapore. Students who have completed CS3244 Machine Learning, or IT3011 Introduction to Machine Learning and Applications Computer Science are precluded from doing AI For Industry (AI4I)® as DYOM. For registration details on AI For Industry (AI4I)®, please go to LumiNUS > Module Search.
- A student who wants to count modular credits upon completion of a credit-bearing MOOC, will have to make payment upfront to edX (or AISG for AI for Industry (AI4I)® course). Upon successful completion, the student may then produce his or her obtained Verified Certificate to request for reimbursement of course fees paid to edX (or AI For Industry (AI4I)®).
- This will be capped at USD600 per student, and up to 8 MCs worth of Unrestricted Elective space. Please note reimbursement is only for credit-bearing edX MOOCs completed under the DYOM scheme, or completed AI For Industry (AI4I)® course only by AISG (i.e., reimbursement does not apply when there is no transfer of credits).
- For enquiries relating to DYOM Credit Transfer, you may email to RO DYOM Credit Transfer (email@example.com).
To count the DYOM credits to current semester, submit your DYOM application from the start of the semester and latest by the last day of the examination period. (E.g., To count the DYOM credits towards Semester 1, submit the DYOM application latest by the last day of Semester 1's examination period). The NUS Academic Calendar can be found here.
Important timelines for Option A - DYOM via MOOCs:
Link to User Guides:
|Prior to start of semester
||Explore and decide which MOOC (edX or AISG) to study.
||Please make payment upfront for the course with verified certificate.
Start of semester till last day of exam period of the semester*(if you wish to count the DYOM credits to the current semester)
*Note: Please refer to NUS Academic Calendarfor actual date.
|Upon successful completion, to submit DYOM (edX) or DYOM (AISG) application via EduRec.
||Need to upload (verified) certificate and a copy of receipt to request for reimbursement.
You may choose to count the DYOM credits towards Special Term if you submit the complete application by the last day of Special Term (Part 2)
|2 weeks after submission of DYOM application
Outcome of DYOM application
*Note: Those application submitted after last day of exam period will be processed later and DYOM credits will be counted in the subsequent active semester/term.
|DYOM module with relevant MC will be enrolled into student’s record accordingly.
|1 month after approval of DYOM application
||Reimbursement of payment.
- How to use LumiNUS to search and register for credit-bearing MOOCs:
Option A: https://wiki.nus.edu.sg/x/_gQuDw
- Please submit your DYOM (edX) or AI For Industry (AI4I)® application (after completion of edX MOOC with a Verified Certificate) via EduRec (Navigation: EduRec > My Homepage > Academics > Design Your Own Module).
- Under this Option A, a student is required to meet the minimum semestral workload requirement regardless whether the student may be doing DYOM via MOOCs.
- Please refer to information below on the equivalent MC(s) that can be obtained based on the MOOC’s workload hours. Do check the MOOC’s workload hours against the table before registering for an edX MOOC via LumiNUS (for DYOM Option A).
Frequently Asked Questions
Group formation and submission of an application:
- Students can form their groups through many ways and means (e.g., own social network through residential living and learning);
- Some students may wish to find like-minded folks (by a specific topic), can consider using Yammer – an online platform for students to connect, discuss, explore together. Click here to join Design-Your-Own-Module network.
- Once a group is formed (including the group supervisor), please appoint a student representative to log into myEduRec to submit an application [Navigation: Student Academics > Design Your Own Module]. A copy of the User Guide can be found here.
- Upon approval of application, the relevant DYOM would be pre-allocated.
Timelines (to register for DYOM group in Semester 1, AY2021/2022):
*Note: Pre-allocation of DYOM module codes could take place after Round 3 on the published schedule for Module Registration for Semester One of AY2021/2022.
|Now – 20 July 2021
||Form a group and get a supervisor
|21 July – 29 July 2021
||Application Period for DYOM (Group)
|30 July – 4 August 2021
||Processing of DYOM (Group) applications
|5 August onwards
||Outcome of DYOM (Group) applications*
Link to User Guides:
- Option B: DYOM via group work with supervision:
User guide on Yammer (i.e., if you need help on group formation/ a platform for discussion):
Option B: https://wiki.nus.edu.sg/x/_wQuDw
Click here to join Design-Your-Own-Module network.
- User guide on EduRec Form for DYOM Group:
Please click here for the user guide.
For general enquiries relating to DYOM, you may email to Design Your Own Module (firstname.lastname@example.org).
For enquiries relating to DYOM Credit Transfer, you may email to RO DYOM Credit Transfer (email@example.com).
For enquires on edX in LumiNUS, please go to LumiNUS Student Helpdesk and log in using your NUSNET ID and password.