Information for International Students

Student's Pass Matters

All full-time international students are required to hold a valid Student's Pass issued by the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority for their studies at NUS. Please refer to

  • ICA website for information on Student's Pass matters, and
  • the respective Registration Guides (or information leaflet sent by the respective NUS admission departments) on the dates and details of ICA's Off-site Student's Pass Exercise at NUS.

For international students from visa-required countries to Singapore, a softcopy of the In-Principle Approval (IPA) letter will be sent by email to them. These students are required to present the IPA letter together with a valid passport to the Duty Officer at the Immigration Checkpoint when arriving Singapore. A short term Social Visit Pass will be issued, during which, these students are required to report for NUS registration and apply for the Student's Pass. The details are set out in the respective Registration Guides (or information leaflets sent by the Department).

Overstaying is a punishable offence under the Immigration Act. Students are to take note of the expiry dates of the IPA letter/ Social Visit Pass and complete the formalities in getting the student's pass before the period of stay expires. It is also the student's responsibility to apply for an extension of their student's pass at least one month before it expires. A full-time student is deemed to be residing illegally in Singapore if he/she does not have a valid student’s pass.

According to the conditions stated by the Singapore Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA), an international student holding a Student’s Pass must surrender it for cancellation within 7 days of the date of cessation or termination of studies. Those who surrender the Student’s Pass at ICA (Visitor Services Centre, 4th storey of ICA Building) will be granted a short term visit pass to allow them to exit the country. If you intend to leave Singapore upon completing your course of studies, you may surrender the Student’s Pass, accompanied by the cancellation form which is downloadable from ICA’s website, to the Immigration Officer at the point of your departure. For a student who is overseas, the Student's Pass, accompanied by the cancellation form, can also be returned to ICA by registered post to the following address:-

Visitor Services Centre
Immigration& Checkpoints Authority
ICA Building 
10 Kallang Road 
Singapore 208718

For more information on Student’s Pass matters, please refer to the website of the Office of Student Affairs.

Part-time international students are not eligible for the Student's Pass and should hold a valid work pass to stay in Singapore.


There are approximately 6,000 residential places on campus distributed between the various halls of residence and student residences.

For more information on accommodation options and application, please visit the Hostel Admission Services webpage.