All international students must hold a valid Student's Pass (SP) issued by the Singapore Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) for their studies at NUS.
You may find more information from the ICA website.
New applications for a Student's Pass must be submitted at least one month and not more than two months before the commencement of the course through ICA's Student's Pass Online Application & Registration (SOLAR)
1. Registration for a Student's Pass
Before you submit your application, NUS will register you through SOLAR with the following information:
- Your name, date of birth, gender and nationality (as appear in your travel document)
- Course details, course commencement and course end dates
- SOLAR application reference number
2. Submission of eForm 16
Once NUS has successfully registered your information, you may login to SOLAR to submit eForm 16.
You must have the following information before logging into SOLAR:
- A registration acknowledgement notice with the login information provided by NUS
- Passport details (including travel document/passport number, date of expiry, etc)
- NRIC/FIN of parents if your parents are Singaporean or foreigners who are working or residing in Singapore
- A Singapore address and contact details
- Your email address
- One recent passport-sized colour photograph (to be pasted on the top-right corner of e-Form 16) and must meet the following requirements:
- Image must be taken within the last three months
- Photograph should be in colour, must be taken against a white background with a matt or semi-matt finish
- Image must show the full face and without headgear (headgear worn in accordance with religious or racial customs is acceptable but must not hide the facial features)
Upon submission of the eForm16 through SOLAR, students are required to print a copy of the eForm16 for submission to ICA to complete formalities for the issuance of a Student's Pass (if the application is successful).
Extension of Student's Pass
Students who require an extension of the Student's Pass beyond the initial course duration may submit an application to renew the Student's Pass, at least one month before the expiry.
Please submit your application here.
Please complete the form here and email it to the NUS Graduate School at GradEnquiry@nus.edu.sg.
Note: Overstaying is a punishable offence under the Immigration Act. Please take note of the expiry dates of your Social Visit Pass and your Student's Pass and apply for an extension at least a month before they expire.
Change of Place of Residence
International students can report a change of their place of residence directly with ICA via the Electronic Change of Residential Address (eCOA) portal
using their Singpass*.
For students without a Singpass, please head to the nearest Singpass counter to register for one.
*Singpass enrolment can only be performed after the Student’s Pass has been issued*
Please be reminded that it is a legal requirement to report any change in your place of residence within 14 days of the change.
Loss and Replacement of Student's Pass
International Students who have lost their Student's Pass are required to apply for a replacement within seven days from the date of loss.
To apply for a replacement card, go to:
Visitor Services Centre
10 Kallang Road, Level 4 (next to Lavender MRT station)
with the following documents on hand:
- A recent passport-sized colour photograph taken within the last three months.
- Your valid travel document (valid for least six months)
- Your Student Status Letter, retrievable from MyEduRec
- A statutory declaration or an original police report (not a photocopy) explaining that the card has been lost
- You must also acknowledge a copy of the Student’s Pass Terms and Conditions, downloadable here.
There are replacement fees for your lost Student's Pass.
First loss: $100
Second and subsequent loss: $300
Cancellation of Student's Pass
When you cease or terminate your studies, you should surrender your Student’s Pass card for cancellation within seven days.
For students who are conferred, NUS will cancel your STP within 7 days of your conferment. ICA will send an email to your NUS email account containing instructions on how to download the STP cancellation confirmation. If you are in Singapore, it will also include a Short-Term Visit Pass that allows you to stay for a period of time before you have to exit the country.
You can also cancel your Student's Pass in person at:
Visitor Services Centre
10 Kallang Road, Level 4
You will need to present the following documents:
- A completed Student’s Pass Cancellation form
- Your valid travel document
- Your Student’s Pass card.
Alternatively, you may surrender your Student’s Pass to the ICA officer at the checkpoint when leaving Singapore.