The NUS Scholarships are highly coveted scholarships awarded to high calibre individuals who demonstrate academic excellence, present excellent co-curricular activities records and exhibit outstanding leadership qualities. NUS Scholars are expected to contribute significantly to the NUS community while in NUS, and emerge as dynamic global leaders who are capable of effecting a positive change to society after they graduate.
There are two tiers of NUS Scholarships offered to prospective students:
- NUS Global Merit Scholarship
- NUS Merit Scholarship
Interested students should submit one common scholarship application to NUS to be considered for both tiers of the NUS Scholarships, the NUS Sports Scholarship and the NUS Performing & Visual Arts Scholarship.
- Be Singapore Citizens
- Have strong leadership qualities and potential
- Have good co-curricular activities record
- Possess outstanding Singapore-Cambridge GCE A Level, local polytechnic diploma, International Baccalaureate diploma, NUS High School diploma or equivalent qualifications
- Be applying for admission to a full-time undergraduate degree programme at NUS, excluding Dentistry, Medicine, Music, Yale-NUS College and students in the Law and Liberal Arts Double Degree Programme offered by Yale-NUS College and NUS
- Tuition fees (after MOE Tuition Grant subsidy)
- S$6,000 annual living allowance
- S$2,000 one-time computer allowance upon enrolment
- S$2,905 annual accommodation allowance if scholar is staying on campus, or S$3,010 if a scholar is staying in Ridge View Residential College, or S$4,620 if scholar is staying in one of the University Town Residential Colleges
- S$7,500 Student Exchange Programme/NUS Overseas Colleges allowance per semester for non-Asian countries and Japan, and S$5,000 per semester for other Asian countries, for up to a maximum of 2 claims. The allowance will be pro-rated for overseas SEP or NOC programmes with a duration of less than 1 semester.
- Guaranteed an offer of a 1-semester Student Exchange Programme (SEP) with one of NUS’ overseas partner universities
- Guaranteed offers of on-campus accommodation for the first 2 years of undergraduate studies, provided the Scholar submits a complete hostel admission application every year within the prescribed application periods, and fulfils NUS’s eligibility criteria for NUS on-campus accommodation. This guarantee applies only to the halls of residence and student residences, and not to the residential colleges.
- Priority to enrol in the Residential College Programmes (University Town College Programme and Ridge View Residential College Programme) or the University Scholars Programme, provided the Scholar submits a complete application for the relevant Programme within the prescribed application period and fulfils NUS’s eligibility criteria for the relevant Programme. Applicants to the Residential College Programmes may be considered for admissions into either the University Town College Programme or Ridge View Residential College Programme. Applicants may also indicate a preferred residential college at the point of application, but the eventual placement may be different. Please refer to Office of Student Affairs website, or contact firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com for more information.
- Scholarship is bond-free
Terms & Conditions
- The NUS Global Merit Scholarship is offered to read a full-time undergraduate course at NUS, which has been offered to the scholar at the time of the scholarship offer, and is tenable for the normal candidature period.
- Recipients of the scholarship (scholars) may not concurrently hold any other scholarship, fellowship, bursary, grant, award or allowance without prior approval from the University.
- The scholarship will be monitored and renewed every semester provided the scholar maintains a Cumulative Average Point (CAP) of at least 4.0 (or equivalent) and good conduct.
- If the scholar decides to withdraw from the University and/or terminate the scholarship prematurely, the University reserves the right to impose repayment of all scholarship monies disbursed to the scholar.
Application & Shortlisting Process
- Scholarship applications can be submitted only after applications for admission to NUS have been submitted. Click here to apply and view the application dates.
- Applicants are required to submit the following after completing the scholarship form:
- Upload supporting documents such as CCA records, at the scholarship uploading facility.
- Submit one referee report (to be submitted online separately by your JC/Polytechnic/High School Principal or Tutor.
- Click here to download the checklist and access the online facilities.
- NUS Scholarships applicants will be assessed on their suitability for the scholarships, based on the strength of their applications and their performance in the scholarship selection interview(s), if shortlisted. This is with the exception of the following:
- NUS Scholarships applicants who have selected Dentistry, Law, and/or Medicine as their top choices of courses, and are shortlisted for the Dentistry/Law/Medicine admission tests/interviews, will be assessed on their suitability for the scholarships based on their performance in the Dentistry/Law/Medicine admission tests/interviews. Further scholarship selection interview(s) may also be conducted for such applicants.
- NUS Scholarships applicants who have already been offered admission to Dentistry, Law or Medicine in previous years, will be assessed on their suitability for the scholarships based on their performance in the Dentistry/Law/Medicine admission tests/interviews in the year that they were offered admission. Again, further scholarship selection interview(s) may also be conducted for such applicants.
- Applicants shortlisted for selection interview(s) will be informed via e-mail. Selection interviews will be conducted from late-March onwards, and applicants will be informed of their scholarship application outcomes by late-May. Please ensure that you are available to attend the interviews in order to be considered for scholarships. Your scholarship application will be withdrawn if you are unable to attend any scheduled selection interview(s) without valid reason(s).
- NUS reserves the right not to award any scholarship if there are no candidates of sufficient merit. The decision of the selection committee is final. Enquiries or disputes surrounding its decisions will not be entertained.
Please submit your scholarships enquiries here.