ES5002 - Advanced Level Writing
This advanced level module is designed for international students who are pursuing a PhD in NUS by research. All international PhD students who are not exempted from the Graduate English Course (based on their results for the Diagnostic English Test) are required to take ES5002. All PhD students from non-English medium universities in the School of Medicine are required to take ES5002.
This module is taught over 1 semester with 2 two-hour sectional teachings per week.
The focus of ES5002 is primarily on the organisational structure and writing conventions of theses.
At the end of this module students should be able to:
ES5002 is a 100% Continuous Assessment module.
Students are required to:
- write three assignments for different sections of a thesis: Introduction, Literature Review, and Results/Conclusion;
- analyse the structural and linguistic features of different portions of a thesis and/or a research paper;
- provide feedback to peers on their writing; and
- participate in classroom discussions and group activities.
- PhD students* who have taken the Diagnostic English Test and subsequently passed ES5000, Basic Level Writing, and/or ES5001A, Intermediate Level Writing (if required to do so) may be admitted to this module. PhD students from the YLL School of Medicine, who have obtained a Band 3 are also required to take this module.
*Please refer to this website for clarity on Faculty requirements for PhD students : http://www.nus.edu.sg/celc/programmes/det.html
- PhD candidates may take ES5002 when they are in the third year of their candidature.To complete this course, students should make sure that they have some data to write about in the assignment titled “Results & Conclusion”. All the assignments in the course are based on the student’s own research, which can be a work in progress.