Information on University Counselling Services are as below:

About UCS | Counselling | Appointments & Referrals | Staff Counselling

About UCS

  1. Where is UCS located?

    UCS is located on Kent Ridge Campus and at the University Health Centre, Level 2. The University Health Centre is located opposite the Yusof Ishak House and beside the NUS Staff Club.

  2. What are your opening hours?

    Mondays - Thursdays 8.30am - 6.00pm
    Fridays 8.30am - 5.30pm
    We’re closed on Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays.
    Last walk-in appointment:
    Mondays - Thursdays 5.30pm
    Fridays 5.00pm
  3. Can I contact a counsellor/psychologist after office hours?

    For life threatening psychological emergencies you may contact Lifeline NUS +65 6516 7777, a 24 hour phone line managed by counsellors.

  4. How do I contact UCS?

    You may call, e-mail or walk-in to make an appointment to consult with a counsellor.

  5. Who are the staff of UCS and are there differences between a psychiatrist, psychologist and counsellor?

    There is no difference between the assessment and counselling provided by psychologists and counsellors at UCS. The difference in designation reflects the training of the counsellor.

  6. What services does UCS offer?

    Our primary offering is an assessment of needs. Based on the initial assessment, the counsellor will work with you on a treatment plan that is suitable for you.

    UCS provides time-limited individual or couple counselling as well as personal development programmes designed to facilitate emotional growth and personal effectiveness. You may attend our many talks and workshops held throughout the semester.

  7. Who can have access to the services offered by UCS?

    All current full-time NUS students have access to the services offered by UCS.

    Counselling services for NUS staff are available through an Employee Assistance Programme via WorkPlace Options (WPO) Asia Pte Ltd. WPO provides up to 5 free sessions for staff.

    Staff may like to contact 800-130-1950 (local) or 65-6692-0848 (overseas) to access our 24-hour line or email to make an appointment.

    Please note that overseas calls are chargeable.

  8. Are UCS’ services free of charge?

    Yes. Counselling sessions and UCS programmes are free for all current full time NUS students.


  1. What can I expect counselling to be like?

    Counselling provides an opportunity for you to connect with a mental health professional who is trained to help you with your concerns.

    Counsellors listen carefully in order to help better understand your thoughts, feelings and behaviours and to explore possibilities. Counsellors typically refrain from giving advice. Counselling is a process and its benefits occur over time. It is important for you to stay with the process, and to practise skills during and outside of sessions in order for change and growth to occur.

  2. What kinds of concerns do students who visit UCS usually have?

    Student’s concerns may range from stress management, relationship matters to adjustment issues, to mention a few.

  3. Is my problem serious enough?

    We encourage you to contact UCS. If something is bothering, blocking or preventing you from making the most of your life, do have a chat with one of our counsellors, who will provide you with the appropriate help.

  4. What is individual counselling and can it help me?

    Individual counselling is a one-on-one conversation with a counsellor. When you first contact UCS, an intake assessment will be set for you. In this first session, a counsellor will ask questions to learn more about your concern, daily functioning, family history and the kind of help you require. Together with you, the counsellor will decide what kind of intervention will benefit you the most; Set goals, develop a plan to achieve goals.

  5. What is short-term counselling?

    Short-term counselling is time-limited. At UCS, we offer a maximum of 8 counselling sessions per client and each session will last about an hour.

  6. Is couple counselling available at UCS?

    Yes. Couple counselling is offered to students who may be facing difficulties in their relationship. With the help of a counsellor, the couple will learn to communicate effectively to improve their couple relationship and/or explore possible solutions. Both parties must be full-time NUS students.

  7. Can I trust that counselling will be confidential? Will my parents or my Faculty be notified?

    Except in cases of threat to life, to self or to others, or a court order, UCS maintains strict confidentiality regarding all information shared by clients.

    Another exception would be if clients give consent by signing an Information Release Form or if clients have been formally required or mandated by their department/faculty to seek an assessment at UCS.

  8. Will my sessions go on my official student record?

    Counselling sessions are kept confidential and are not reflected on student records.

  9. Who would be my counsellor? Can I make a request?

    First appointments (intake assessment) are usually scheduled based on the availability of a counsellor. The assigned counsellor will be your counsellor for future sessions.

    If the fit between you and the assigned counsellor is not ideal or if the counsellor feels that you may benefit from a different counsellor, a change in counsellor is possible.

  10. Would I be able to get a psychiatric consultation if I need one?

    Yes. Psychiatric consultations are only made through referrals from a counsellor at UCS or a medical doctor at the University Health Service (Clinic).

  11. Who should I call if there is an emergency on campus?

    You can contact Campus Security at +65 6874 1616 for immediate assistance, during an emergency.

    Please contact Lifeline NUS at +65 6516 7777 for life-threatening psychological emergencies.

  12. What if there is an emergency outside campus?

    Please call:

    Police 999
    Singapore Civil Defence Force
    (Ambulance & Fire Brigade)

    Please contact Samaritans of Singapore at 1800 221 4444 for off-campus life threatening psychological emergencies.

Appointments & Referrals

  1. How do I make my first appointment?

    You may walk-in, phone or email for an appointment with UCS. You would be required to provide the front desk staff with your matriculation/student card when you arrive for your appointment. If appointments are made over the phone or email, you would need to provide your full name as indicated on your student card, student number and contactable mobile number.

  2. Why do I have to complete registration and health questionnaire forms?

    Similar to procedures in any other health facility, UCS will only be able to provide students therapeutic services upon their registration as clients and provision of important information such as identifying information and emergency contacts; while a health questionnaire assists in the evaluation of an individual’s current mental well-being.

  3. How long will the appointment take?

    An intake appointment (first appointment) is 60 minutes while a regular counselling session is 50 minutes long.

  4. What happens if I am unable to attend or miss an appointment?

    If you are unable to attend the appointment, students are requested to inform UCS as soon as possible or at least one day in advance.

  5. Can I see a counsellor if I just walk into the UCS?

    Yes, if you are in an urgent and life-threatening psychological situation, an on-call crisis counsellor would meet with you. For non-crisis situations, UCS will schedule students for a more comprehensive intake assessment at the earliest date and time.

  6. Can I bring a friend or family member with me to UCS / what if he or she isn’t a student?

    Students do bring family members or friends when he/she is unsure in approaching UCS alone. However, counselling sessions are between the counsellor and student. Unless required, family members and/or friends would not be requested to sit in for any sessions.

  7. I do not want to seek counselling here at NUS. Where can I get help outside NUS?

    Family and community services are available for individuals island-wide. You may like to refer to the National Council of Social Service web portal for a comprehensive list of agencies available. You may also want to refer to the list of off-campus resources provided for your convenience on this site.

  8. Are other resources for help available beyond counselling and group work?

    Links to psycho-educational self-help articles are available on the website. If you have a social media account, you may also want to follow us on Facebook or Twitter for weekly updates of current and interesting self-help articles.

Staff Counselling

  1. Can Faculty members and administrative staff approach UCS for counselling?

    UCS does not offer counselling services for staff.

    You may approach the university’s Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) when seeking counselling services. Up to 5 free sessions are available. Further details regarding the University’s EAP are available on the staff portal.

    You may contact 800-130-1950 (local) or 65-6692-0848 (overseas) to access our 24-hour line or email to make an appointment.

    Please note that overseas calls are chargeable.

    The University Health Service (Clinic) has also engaged an external psychologist for the same purpose. If you require counselling and would like to enquire further please contact the Clinic at +65 6601 5035.

  • Home
  • Resources
  • FAQ
  • Student Mental Health - University Counselling Services