One of the most common eye problems that adults experience is failing vision due to eye strain. Learn what the signs and causes of eyestrain are, as well as the other eye problems that adults are likely to face
In today's fast-paced society, eye care is often the least of all health concerns of adults, especially working adults. However, to be actively engaged with life and work productively, one needs to have healthy vision as well.
One of the most common eye problems experienced by adults today is failing vision. This may be due to eye strain caused by eye fatigue, dry eyes, bad lighting, and sitting posture. In fact, long hours spent working in front of computers is often a main factor contributing to eye strain.
What are some signs of eye strain related to computer use?
You may experience the following signs of eye strain after working for extended hours in front of the computer:
- Difficulty in focusing
- Blurred vision
- Dry and/or irritated eyes
- After-images when looking away from the screen
- Sensitivity to lighting
What can be done to ease eyestrain related to computer use?
- Blink your eyes often
- Close your eyes frequently, or look far into the distance every 15-20 minutes to relax them
- Sit at least 50 cm away from the screen. The centre of your screen should be 10 cm to 15 cm below your natural eye level
- Keep your screen free of dust to minimise visual interference
- Select a font size of 12 points or above
- Create an eye-friendly environment around your computer screen by
- placing the documents you are working on at the same level as the screen to avoid having to re-focus your vision
- eliminating reflections on your computer screen
Apart from failing vision, other eye problems that may be encountered by adults include:
If you experience any of these problems, do consult an eye care professional.
Myopia can be corrected with the use of spectacles or contact lenses. Alternatively, it can be rectified through a surgical procedure called LASIK.
So, give your eyes the best care they deserve to ensure that they serve you well throughout your lifetime. Consult an eye care professional immediately if you begin to experience eye problems. Early detection and treatment are your best safeguards against failing sight and vision loss.