OUTSTANDING EDUCATOR AWARD
Professor IP Yuen Kwong, Alex
PhD, MA (Rice University), BSc (University of Minnesota)
Department of Biological Sciences
For me, a teacher is a guide whose job is to arouse students' curiosity.
Current Teaching Portfolio
- General Physiology;
- Comparative Animal Physiology;
- Teaching in Biology.
- contributes to the development of teaching and learning in the University in his capacity as the Associate Director of NUS' Centre for Development of Teaching and Learning;
- an effective educator not only to students but as a teachers' teacher.
- relates abstract theories to real life;
- relates abstract theories to real-life experiences;
- draws correlations across all disciplines to broaden students' intellectual horizons;
- encourages students to question - uses the internet classroom not for posting notes and information but for questions and answers;
- deregulates practical and tutorial sessions so that they are student-centred;
- helps students to acquire critical thinking by guiding them to take uncertainty as a challenge.
- has papers published in Journal of Experimental Biology, American Journal of Physiology and Cell and Tissue Research;
- author of 12 short articles published as Ideas on Teaching and 5 short articles published as Ideas on Learning, NUS Centre for Development of Teaching and Learning.
- member, editorial board, Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology A (Molecular and Integrative Physiology), Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology B (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology C (Toxicology and Pharmacology) and Journal of Comparative Physiology;
- reviewer of international journals including Journal of Experimental Biology, Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology; and Journal of Experimental Zoology;
- member, organising committee, International Union of Physiological Sciences (Comparative Physiology Commission, Environmental Physiology Section).
Awards and Accolades
- Teaching Excellence Award, NUS Faculty of Science 2003, 2002, 2001;
- NUS Outstanding Educator Award 2000;
- Outstanding Science Lecturer Award, NUS Faculty of Science, 2000, 1998, 1996;
- Innovative Teaching Award, NUS Faculty of Science, 1999;
- NUS Staff Achievement Award (Teaching Excellence) 1999, 1998, 1997;
- Science Teaching Award, NUS Faculty of Science, 1997.
wishes to research on "how NUS students learn" and consequently contribute to the improvement of students' education in NUS and Singapore.