Important note: All applications to the DERC should be submitted through their usual route and not via the iRIMS-IRB as this system is meant for applications for the NUS-IRB’s review.
With effect from 1 June 2019, faculty research that qualifies for an Exemption may be reviewed and approved by a Departmental Ethics Review Committee (DERC). This applies to social, behavioural and educational research (SBER) that is of minimal risk, but excludes any human biomedical research (HBR) that falls within section 3 of the Human Biomedical Research Act (HBRA).
Please refer to our DERC guidelines as follows:
• Ethics Review of Student Research by DERC
• Ethics Review of Faculty Research by DERC
• DERC Template for Reporting to NUS-IRB
Other relevant guidelines/ slides for reference:
• SBER Exemption Guidelines
• Sharing Session 14 May 2019: Powerpoint Slides
List of DERCs with Contact Details Updated on 3 Sep 2020
* For student and faculty research reviewed and approved by a DERC: As a gentle reminder, the NUS-IRB contact details should not be reflected on the Participant Information Sheet and Consent Form (PIS&CF). For an independent opinion regarding the ethics of the study and rights of research subjects, the contact details of the approving DERC should be reflected accordingly.