The five pillars that form General Education are Human Cultures, Thinking and Expression, Singapore Studies, Asking Questions, and Quantitative Reasoning. Except for Asking Questions (GEQ1000) and Quantitative Reasoning (GER1000) that are single-module pillars, there is an extensive range of modules offered under the other three pillars.
Each General Education Module (GEM) carries 4 Modular Credits (MCs). To satisfy the University Level Requirements for General Education, *students are required to read one GEM from each pillar (Total: 20 MCs).
A short description of each pillar is provided below (click on the link):
Students are strongly advised to read the FAQ for more information on General Education Requirements.
- Students admitted in AY2015/16 and who are enrolled in the University Scholars Programme (USP) or University Town College Programme (UTCP) (taking the full USP/UTCP) are not required to read the General Education Modules from the above five pillars, as they will fulfil their University Level Requirements as part of their USP or UTCP respectively.
- Students admitted from AY2016/17 onwards and who are enrolled in USP or UTCP (taking the full USP/UTCP) are required to read a module from the Quantitative Reasoning pillar in partial fulfilment of the University Level Requirements for General Education. These students are not required to read the General Education Modules from the remaining pillars, as they will fulfil their remaining University Level Requirements as part of their USP or UTCP respectively.
- For a small number of GEMs which are specially approved for inclusion in some FASS Major/Second Major/Minor requirements, students reading such GEMs can only count them to either the General Education requirements or the Major/Second Major/Minor requirements, but not both (i.e., no double counting is allowed).
- Modules read from overseas/partner universities while students are on Student Exchange Programmes/Summer Programmes/Winter Programmes/Study Abroad Programmes cannot be used to fulfil the General Education requirement.
- Polytechnic Diploma holders admitted from AY2015/16 are not allowed to use their Advanced Placement Credits (APCs) to replace a GEM. All students admitted from AY2015/16 are required to read five GEMs.
Information Accurate as of 30 August 2018