Full-time NUS Undergraduate students may apply for a place in the Halls of Residence, Student Residences or Colleges (applicable only to students who are admitted to the UTCP, USP or RVRC).
There are different types of residential options for full-time NUS undergraduate students to choose from.
Halls of Residence
The Halls are known for their vibrant CCA, rich history and culture. Living in the halls is akin to having another family in school altogether. Each hall has its own distinct culture and is led by a hall master and an elected hall committee. Meals are catered and residents are required to subscribe to the meal plan. Residents are expected to participate actively in hall activities. Living in the halls also give you the chance to read hall modules exclusive to hall residents. The modules, Engaging the Natural Environment in ASEAN (GEH1041), Exploration in Musical Production (GEH1040), and Understanding the Body, Mind and Culture through Sports (GEH1063), test the boundaries of your knowledge, skills and values, by putting theory into practice in a purposeful and meaningful way. To find out more about these hall modules, please click here. In addition, the Halls also offer the convenience for Hall freshmen to take two General Education modules (GER and GEQ) in the Hall.
Located within Prince George's Park, the PGP House provides a one-year living and learning programme mainly for freshmen. Freshmen can enjoy the convenience of taking some of their GE modules in PGP House, and attending its Peer Mentorship Programme, led by Peer Mentors, who excel academically and are specially selected from various faculties and departments to help freshmen transit and adjust to life in NUS. For more information on PGP House, please click here.
The Residences offer independent living with opportunities for cross cultural interaction with the international community of students. As Residences offer more privacy, they tend to be quieter than Halls. Students staying in the Residences participate in activities organised by their campus-wide clubs, societies and interest groups.
From January to July 2019 (estimated), Blocks 7 and 8 (Type A rooms) in PGPR will be closed for renovation works. Inevitably, noise and dust will be generated during the renovation works. Precautions will be taken to minimize inconvenience to residents. Students who are sensitive to noise and dust may want to take this into consideration when indicating the hostel preferences.
The Colleges are learning communities where students – enrolled in an academic programme – learn from and live alongside their peers and professors. The following programmes are available:
Students are required to subscribe to the meal plan as the dining experience aims to foster community amongst students and faculty/staff by bonding over meals.
Some rooms have been designed specifically for students with special needs. If you have special needs due to a serious medical condition, you should indicate them clearly in your application form so that we can allocate the most appropriate room available.
The hostel rooms are equipped with Wi-Fi and fitted with LAN point for connection to campus network.
Hostel Options For All Undergraduates
- Meals are catered for the halls and colleges (except PGP House), and residents are required to subscribe to the meal plan. For further details, please refer to Hostel Rates.
- Due to keen demand for campus accommodation, undergraduate students not qualified under any residential admission scheme will not be prioritised for campus accommodation. Students are advised to source for off-campus accommodation.
- The Cinnamon College is primarily for students who are admitted to the University Scholars Programme (USP).
- College of Alice & Peter Tan, Tembusu College and Residential College 4 are primarily for students who are admitted to the University Town College Programme (UTCP).
- Ridge View Residential College is primarily for students from the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, Faculty of Science, Faculty of Engineering, NUS Business School, School of Computing and School of Design and Environment.
- UTown Residence is in close proximity to the Town Green Plaza which hosts lively activities throughout the year. Some noise is to be expected from these activities. Students who are sensitive to noise may want to take this into consideration when selecting hostel preferences.