ISS > Life in NUS > Campus Services > NUS Career Centre

NUS Career Centre

The NUS Career Centre enhances the employability of our students through career preparation workshops that assist them in identifying and developing their career goals.

Guidelines on Part-Time Employment for International Students

Part-time Employment Information

Undergraduate And Graduate International Students

With effect from 16 Jan 2006, a Letter of Consent is not required from the University or from the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) for the employment.

All full-time international undergraduate and graduate students will be allowed to engage in part-time employment, as long as they meet ICA's stipulation of not exceeding 16 hours per week of employment during semester time.

Please ensure you can manage your time well to balance studies with part-time employment, and to observe the cap of 16 hours per week for employment during semester time.

Please note that there is no cap on the number of hours during the University's vacation periods.

Non-Graduating Exchange / Non-Exchange International Students

The University's guideline is that Non-graduating international students are not allowed to engage in part-time employment.  However, this guideline will not be applicable for those who are here on internship or industrial attachment as part of the course requirement.

MOM regulation on Internship for International Students

  • Work pass exemption will be granted to full-time international students from Institute of Higher Learning (IHL) recognised by MOE (which NUS is one of them) to do their internships/industrial attachments if they fulfill the following conditions:

    - Conducted during stipulated school vacation; or
    - Within 16 hours per week during term time; or
    - Compulsory course work requirement for graduation; or
    - Non-compulsory but are modular credits awarding and contribute towards graduation requirement.

  • NUS International Students who undertake voluntary internship/industrial attachment that is non-modular credits awarding in Singapore during term time, where working hours are more than 16 hours per week, a relevant Work Pass (Employment Pass, S Pass, or Work Permit) is required.  Please refer here for the NUS Academic calendar.

  • International Students will be prosecuted under the Employment of Foreign Manpower Act if they are found working in Singapore without a valid Work Pass.

    For more information and clarification, please visit Ministry of Manpower (MOM) website or contact Ministry of Manpower (MOM) Hotline at
    6438 5122.