NUS Global Merit Scholarship
The NUS Scholarships are highly coveted scholarships awarded to high calibre individuals who demonstrate academic excellence, present excellent co-curricular activities records and exhibit outstanding leadership qualities. NUS Scholars are expected to contribute significantly to the NUS community while in NUS, and emerge as dynamic global leaders who are capable of effecting a positive change to society after they graduate.
There are two tiers of NUS Scholarships offered to prospective students:
- NUS Global Merit Scholarship
- NUS Merit Scholarship
Interested students should submit one common scholarship application to NUS to be considered for both tiers of the NUS Scholarships, the NUS Sports Scholarship and the NUS Performing & Visual Arts Scholarship.
Eligibility Criteria Scholarship Benefits Terms & Conditions Application & Shortlisting Process Application & Enquiries
- Be Singapore Citizens
- Have strong leadership qualities and potential
- Have good co-curricular activities record
- Possess outstanding Singapore-Cambridge GCE A Level, local polytechnic diploma, International Baccalaureate diploma, NUS High School diploma or equivalent qualifications
- Be applying for admission to a full-time undergraduate degree programme at NUS, although the scholarship is not available for Yale-NUS College students and students in the Law and Liberal Arts Double Degree Programme offered by Yale-NUS College and NUS, and only limited scholarships are available for Dentistry, Medicine and Music
- Tuition fees (after MOE Tuition Grant subsidy)
- S$6,000 annual living allowance
- S$2,000 one-time computer allowance upon enrolment
- S$2,625 annual accommodation allowance if scholar is staying in a Hall of Residence, Student Residence, or Ridge View Residential College, or S$4,200 if scholar is staying in University Town
- S$7,500 Student Exchange Programme/NUS Overseas Colleges allowance per semester for non-Asian countries and Japan, and S$5,000 per semester for other Asian countries
- Guaranteed an offer of a 1-semester Student Exchange Programme (SEP) with one of NUS’ overseas partner universities
- Guaranteed offers of on-campus accommodation for the first 2 years of undergraduate studies, provided the Scholar submits a complete hostel admission application every year within the prescribed application periods, and fulfil’s NUS’s eligibility criteria for NUS on-campus accommodation.
- Eligibility to enrol in the Ridge View Residential College, University Scholar’s Programme or the University Town College Programme
- Eligibility for the NUS Scholar Enrichment Grant, which will co-fund 50% of the scholar’s participation in short local or overseas enrichment programmes (including programme fees, airfare and overseas accommodation), for up to 2 applications for the entire course of study and up to $3,000 per application
- Eligibility for free tickets to selected NUS arts performances
- Scholarship is bond-free
- The scholarship is offered to read an undergraduate course at NUS, and is tenable for the normal course duration. Scholarships offered under Dentistry, Law, Medicine and Music cannot be transferred across courses, while scholarships offered under other courses may be transferred to other courses, excluding Dentistry, Law, Medicine and Music.
- Recipients of the scholarship (scholars) may not concurrently hold any other scholarship, fellowship, bursary, grant, award or allowance without prior approval from the University.
- The scholarship will be monitored and renewed every semester provided the scholar maintains a Cumulative Average Point (CAP) of at least 4.0 (or equivalent) and good conduct.
- Scholars who require additional semester(s) to complete their studies due to their participation in the Student Exchange Programme or NUS Overseas Colleges Programme may submit an application for their scholarships to fund these additional semester(s), subject to case-by-case approval.
- Scholars will be required to take part in community involvement programmes or projects deemed appropriate and/or directed by the University.
- If the scholar decides to withdraw from the University and/or terminate the scholarship prematurely, the University reserves the right to impose repayment of all scholarship monies disbursed to the scholar.
- The common online scholarship application for the NUS Scholarships, NUS Sports Scholarship and NUS Performing & Visual Arts Scholarship will open from 1 February to 19 March every year. Scholarship applications can be submitted only after applications for admission to NUS have been submitted.
- Applicants are required to submit supporting documents (including academic results, CCA records and certificates of achievements) at our uploading facility, after completing the online scholarship application. One referee report is to be submitted online separately by your JC/Polytechnic/High School Principal or Tutor. An information sheet for referees can be downloaded here.
- NUS Scholarships applicants will be assessed on their suitability for the scholarships, based on the strength of their applications and their performance in the scholarship selection interview(s), if shortlisted. This is with the exception of the following:
- NUS Scholarship applicants who have selected Dentistry, Law, and/or Medicine as their top choices of courses, and are shortlisted for the Dentistry/Law/Medicine admission tests/interviews, will be assessed on their suitability for the scholarships based on their performance in the Dentistry/Law/Medicine admission tests/interviews. Further scholarship selection interview(s) may also be conducted for such applicants.
- NUS Scholarship applicants who have already been offered admission to Dentistry, Law or Medicine in previous years, will be assessed on their suitability for the scholarships based on their performance in the Dentistry/Law/Medicine admission tests/interviews in the year that they were offered admission. Again, further scholarship selection interview(s) may also be conducted for such applicants.
- Applicants shortlisted for selection interview(s) will be informed via e-mail. Selection interviews will be conducted from late-March onwards, and applicants will be informed of their scholarship application outcomes by late-May. Please ensure that you are available to attend the interviews in order to be considered for scholarships. Your scholarship application will be withdrawn if you are unable to attend any scheduled selection interview(s) without valid reason(s)..
- NUS reserves the right not to award any scholarship if there are no candidates of sufficient merit. The decision of the selection committee is final. Enquiries or disputes surrounding its decisions will not be entertained
Please submit your NUS Scholarships application here and enquiries here.