The Lee Kuan Yew Scholarship to Encourage Upgrading (LKY-STEP) Award was made possible by Mr Lee Kuan Yew, who donated the proceeds from the sales of autographed editions of Volume Two of his memoirs. The scholarship is to encourage upgrading and lifelong learning, and is presented to outstanding polytechnic graduates who have performed well academically and attained good co-curricular activity records, and are matriculating into full-time undergraduate degree programmes at the National University of Singapore (NUS), Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore Management University (SMU), Singapore University of Design and Technology (SUTD), Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT), and Singapore University of Social Sciences (SUSS).
- Be Singapore Citizens or Singapore Permanent Residents
- Have strong leadership qualities and potential
- Have good co-curricular activities records
- Possess outstanding local polytechnic diploma (preferably Diploma with Merit)
- Be matriculating into a full-time undergraduate degree programme at NUS/NTU/SMU/SUTD/SIT/SUSS in the year of application
- S$3,500 one-time cash award
- Scholarship is bond-free
Terms & Conditions
- There is no bond attached to the scholarship.
- Recipients of the scholarship (scholars) may concurrently hold other scholarships or bursaries.
- Scholars who are unsuccessful in securing a concurrent scholarship will have their tuition fees (after MOE Tuition Grant) waived by their respective university.
Application & Shortlisting Process
- The common online application for the LKY-STEP Award and UES commences from 2 May to 23 May 2019. (Applications for AY2019/2020 has closed).
- NUS is the Secretariat for the LKY-STEP Award and UES in AY2019/2020.
- Applicants are required to submit supporting documents at the uploading facility, after completing the online application. The uploading facility can be accessed here and a copy of the Application Checklist can be found here.
- Selection interviews will be held in June. Only shortlisted applicants will be notified for an interview via e-mail. Please ensure that you are available to attend the interviews in order to be considered for the award/scholarship. Your application will be withdrawn if you are unable to attend any scheduled selection interview(s) without valid reason(s).
- Applicants that are not shortlisted will not receive any e-mail communication.
- Applicants are advised to submit their applications early. There will be no extension of the closing date, and late applications will not be accepted.
Please submit your scholarship enquiries here.