NUS PhD (Data Science)
Jointly hosted by NGS and the NUS Institute of Data Science (IDS)
The NUS PhD (Data Science) programme is jointly hosted by the NUS Graduate School for Integrative Sciences and Engineering (NGS) and the NUS Institute of Data Science (IDS).
It prepares students with a distinctive set of interdisciplinary skills for Data Science careers in academia or industry.
More details on IDS:
The Institute of Data Science (IDS) agglomerates, and further builds on, substantial strengths in data science and analytics in NUS. IDS coordinates and supports data science research initiatives across NUS. The value of the solutions that IDS can provide is through combining the expertise from multiple disciplines to tackle a problem well-roundedly from an all angles. In this way, solutions derived will actually be more superior than those derived singularly by each discipline.
IDS seeks to collaborate with industry partners to contribute to innovation and solutions across a diverse range of sectors, including industry, government, community services, and of course, education.
With this PhD program, IDS aims to educate the next generation of “brain-heavy” data scientists.
- Full-time only PhD programme
- Monthly stipend, up to 4 years of PhD studies, OR up to date of graduation, whichever is earlier
- Full tuition fee subsidies for 4 years
- Conference travel support
- under NGS Scholarship scheme
- Open worldwide to
- Bachelor degree holders (or above), with at least a very good 2nd Upper Honours (or equivalent qualifications), and
- outstanding research potential and strong research interests in Data Sciences
Students will be based in NGS and IDS, and have to fulfil the following three requirements:
30 modular credits, comprising
- modules from NGS, Business School, School of Computing, Faculty of Science and Faculty of Engineering, and
- laboratory rotation
- Service, comprising
- IDS Teaching
- IDS-based industry relevant projects
- PhD Thesis
- Work on a topic that advance data science research under the advice of IDS directors and faculty affiliates (refer to “Supervisors” below).
Scholarship and Eligibility
Apply for the NUS PhD (Data Science)
January 2021 [AY2020/21 Semester 2] Intake:
Application opens on 15 June 2020, and closes on 15 August 2020.