AI Singapore AI in Health Grand Challenge - Call For Proposals
The National Research Foundation (NRF) Singapore has launched a national research and development programme called AI Singapore to strengthen Singapore’s capabilities in artificial intelligence and power our future digital economy. AI Singapore’s vision is to be an integrated, impact-driven research, innovation and commercialisation initiative in AI. Its mission is to anchor deep national capabilities in AI to create social and economic impact, grow talent and a local ecosystem, and put Singapore on the world map. As a key thrust of Singapore’s Smart Nation endeavour, AI Singapore will first focus on finance and insurance, healthcare and wellness, and smart city solutions. The key activities include addressing grand/national challenges that affect society and industry, investing in deep capabilities to catch the next wave of scientific innovation, and increasing translation and commercialisation.
Objective of AI In Health Grand Challenge
This grand challenge is aimed at encouraging and supporting new ideas that adopt AI technologies and innovations to enhance primary care for health promotion, wellness maintenance, and disease management in Singapore and the world.
The objective is to stop or slow disease progression and complication development in major chronic diseases in Singapore, specifically those related to the 3 “High’s” (or 3H) - Hyperglycemia (diabetes), Hypertension (high blood pressure), Hyperlipidemia (high cholesterol), through better prevention, treatment, and management.
The challenge statement is:
“How can Artificial Intelligence (AI) help primary care teams stop or slow disease progression and complication development in 3H patients by 20% in 5 years?
Proposals should emphasise on methodology and algorithms, rather than domain-specific solutions.
Project Funding and Duration
Funding support is available for a duration of up to 5 years (2 + 3)
, in two stages:
(inclusive of 20% IRC)
|Stage 1 (2 years)
||Up to $5million
|Stage 2 (3 years)
||Up to $20million
- Proposals may be single-institution or multi-institution.
- Each application must consist of one Lead PI and at least one Co-PI.
- This call is open to the six public-funded Institutes of Higher Learning (IHLs)aand A*STAR Institutes in Singapore.
aInstitutes of Higher Learning (IHLs): National University of Singapore (NUS), Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore Management University (SMU), Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD), Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT), Singapore University of Social Sciences (SUSS).
- Lead PIs and/or Co-PIs are required to fulfil the following criteria at the point of application:
- Lead PIs are required to hold a primary appointment and salaried in a public-funded IHL or A*STAR Institute in Singapore;
- Co-PIs can be from any publicly-funded institution in Singapore;
- Lead PIs and Co-PIs must be independent researchers with a track record of leadership ability in coordinating research programmes and providing mentorships to research team, as well as having productive research outcomes;
- Lead PIs and Co-PIs must have no outstanding report(s) from other national grants;
- Lead PIs must have extensive background and qualifications in AI, and at least one of the PIs must be a clinician or clinician scientist.
PI and Co-PIs are expected to commit a proportionate amount of their time in ensuring the success of the project (at least 25% of the total time for PI and at least 20% for Co-PIs
A briefing session for this grand challenge will be held at the following time and venue. RSVP is required at https://www.aisingapore.org/event/ai-in-health-grand-challenge-grant-call-briefing/
- Date: 8th June 2018, Friday
- Time: 3pm – 5pm
- Venue: Auditorium, CREATE, 1 CREATE Way, Singapore 138602
- Research teams that intend to apply to participate in this AI in Health Grand Challenge must first register their interest at the AI Singapore AI in Health Grand Challenge website. The portal will be ready by end-July 2018.
- All applicants must submit the application in the “AI Singapore AI in Health Grand Challenge - Proposal Application”, duly signed by PI, Co-PI(s) and endorsed by the relevant institutional authority / director of research (or equivalent).
- All relevant sections of the application form should be filled out completely and relevant supporting documents attached.
For more information, please refer to the documents that may be downloaded from https://www.aisingapore.org/grandchallenge/health/
Submission by Institutional Research Office (Deadline: 31 aug 2018, friday, Singapore Time)
Please submit all application documents, complete with Institutional endorsement, on the AI Singapore Grand Challenge Application portal (https://www.aisingapore.org/grandchallenge/health/
), which will be ready by end-July 2018.
Contact Person for More Information