- Teaching and learning took on new dimensions with the upgrading of the NUS network infrastructure to the advanced multi-gigabit multimedia, high speed ATM (Asynchronous Transfer Mode) switching network.
- High speed ATM link to Singapore ONE, the nationwide broadband network that promises to deliver interactive, multimedia applications and services to everyone in Singapore.
- In line with the PS21 vision, Intranet services were launched aggressively throughout the year.
- Computer Centre, through INTRO, tied up with Netband Technology Pte Ltd to market the innovative Windows Shopping software developed by Computer Centres' networking team.
- NUS establishes SingCERT together with IDA (NCB)
- Launched the first R&D network - SingAREN (Singapore Advanced Research & Education Network), which was hosted and managed by the National University of Singapore, for the research and education community with 14 Mbps connection to STARTAP (Science Technology and Research Transit Access Point) in Chicago, US [more].