SP2171 - Discovering Science (Embedded)
The SP2171 (Discovering Science) module provides a series of classes to introduce students to the skill sets of communication, modelling and computational skills. These skill sets are the core requirement for the integrated science curriculum. Students undertake a study of scientific literature of their chosen topic, with the goal of coming up with a focused research direction based on the gaps in the literature. Students will read this module over two semester in their first year.
The module aims to help students:
- develop skill sets in reading, understanding and critically analysing a scientific article
- synthesise and critically evaluate scientific literature relevant to a topic of interest
- develop relevant skills for analyzing the results and conclusion from research articles
- integrate relevant theory and scientific evidence in a logical way and draw appropriate conclusions
- develop effective science communication skills to articulate scientific literature to a wide audience via presentations and journal paper writing