ES5001A - Intermediate Level Writing
This module is the intermediate level of the Graduate English Course. Some students will be channelled to it based on their results in the Diagnostic English Test. Other students take it after completing the Basic Level Writing module.
This module is taught over 1 semester with 2 two-hour sectional teachings per week.
The module provides the opportunity for postgraduate students from non-English medium universities to develop their academic writing skills by writing several academic texts and to explore the grammar and style of academic writing in their own discipline.
At the end of the module students should be able to:
- recognise the general characteristics of academic writing;
- write with greater grammatical competence;
- recognise the style of academic writing in their respective disciplines;
- use an increased productive vocabulary developed through learning collocations;
- express well-organised ideas in academic English; and
- present and interpret data.
They should also be able to write the following texts with minimal support:
- a data commentary;
- a research report.
- Continuous Assessment 60%
- Final Examination 40%
- To be admitted to this module, students must have taken the Diagnostic English Test and received a ‘Band 2’, or passed ES5000, Basic Level Writing, if required to do so.
- Students may, if they choose, take ES5001B before they take ES5001A.